Troubleshooting black screen or blank screen errors
Black screen or blank screen errors are most common errors that occur while you load your windows. If you find any black screen errors after upgrading to Windows 10, You can follow the below troubleshooting steps or get the Microsoft online help and support for troubleshooting Black Screen or Blank Screen errors on your computer.
Black screen before signing into Windows 10
- Check that if your PC is correctly plugged in and turned on.
- Sometimes videos are sent to a different display adapter or output due to change in the driver.
- If you have your own display adapter, try connecting the display to the built-in video on the motherboard.
- You can avoid using multiple displays or external devices like laptop or tablet.
Removing third-party Antivirus software
Some third-party antivirus software installed on your PC can cause the black screen. You can try removing these software’s to reduce black screen problems.
Using Antivirus software like Windows Defender
Windows defender antivirus can remove any unauthorized software’s on your windows. You can not prevent the occurrence of black screen or blank screen to an extent.
Performing clean boot of your PC
- You can perform a clean boot of your PC
- Try restarting your PC in Safe mode to avoid black screen and blank screen errors.
Black screen or blank screen errors after signing into Windows 10
- Check the internal connections of your PC
- Check that your display is turned on and plugged in
- Try Windows key sequence to wake the screen
- Press Windows logo key +control+ shift option to wake the screen
Reinstalling the graphics or driver
Reinstalling the graphics or driver is another option to avoid black screen or blank screen errors after signing into Windows 10. You can follow the below steps to reinstall the graphics or driver.
- Start your PC in safe mode.
- Select the device manager by searching it in the search box.
- Right click the display adapter option and then uninstall it.
- Restart your PC
- Try removing or uninstalling any third-party software on your computer which causes black screen or blank screen errors
- Performing a clean boot of your PC is the another method to avoid black screen or blank screen errors
Blank screen with spinning dots
- If you find any blank screen with spinning dots which moves in a small circular pattern, it means that the updates are finalizing. You can try the below troubleshooting steps if the dots remain on the screen
- Try restarting your PC.
- Remove or unplug the unnecessary USB devices that are connected
- Try performing a clean installation of Windows 10 using the media creation tool if the black screen still persists.
Blank screen that occurs during setup or upgrades
If a blank screen appears while setup or upgrade, there may be problems with the driver make sure that you have installed the latest versions of drivers.
1. Make sure that you have installed the latest versions of drivers.
2. You can try restarting your PC in safer mode. Find the below steps to start your PC in safer mode.
- Go to the start button and select the settings
- Select update and security option.
- Settings>update and security >Recovery
- Under advanced startup, select the Restart option.
After your PC Restarts, you will find a list of options like Troubleshoot, Advanced Options, startup settings and Restart. You can choose 4 or F4 to start your PC in safe mode.
Microsoft has recently launched the Windows online help and support where you can get help from professionals to troubleshoot the errors which occur during download and installation. Windows online help and support is mostly liked and preferred by the users. The main objective is to provide the latest information about the Windows update and provide online support to troubleshoot errors.